Step 3: Timeline Editing
Now that you’ve collected all your assets in Media Selection, and decided whether or not you need a voice-over, you are ready for the Timeline stage of video production.
The Timeline is where all the media assets you’ve collected are combined together with effects (text overlays, Free Text, Supers, zoom…) to put the finishing touches on your video. This is where most of the work will be done in creating your video.
The Timeline has 3 main components:
- A Rough Cut preview, which allows you to preview your media assets and text on screen in low resolution to make quick edits to your video (located in the top left corner of the screen)
- Your Lightbox, including all the content you’ve collected for your story and the “Add More Media” button which can be used to return to the Media Gallery to collect more assets for your story
- The Timeline, where you can place your assets in order and also edit the individual images and videos for length and to add overlays including text and other custom features including transition or overlays.
In addition to those components, you can also:
- Change your background music: Wochit has a library of over 100 music tracks for you to choose from in addition to allowing you to upload your own track
- Watch a low-res preview of your video: Click on ‘Preview and Produce your Video’ in the bottom right corner and you will be asked to choose a thumbnail and title your video. Once completed you can watch a full low-res version of your video including all graphics and custom overlays. When the preview has rendered we also provide you with a share link that you can use to share the video internally before producing
- Publish your video!
The Basics of Asset Navigation and Customization:
When you first enter the Timeline your first step is to fill the Timeline with assets you’ve collected in your Lightbox by clicking and dragging them down. Once you’ve added objects to the timeline you can start to edit the individual assets.
To add text, zoom, or crop an object on the Timeline follow the below instructions:
- Hover over the image or video on the Timeline with your mouse
- You’ll notice a two sided icon appear with a pencil and an x
- To clear the object from the Timeline click on the x, to edit it further click on the pencil — this will open the Edit Image (video or infographic) overlay
- Across the top of the preview you will see a menu of different customization options including:
Once you’re done editing an asset you can click DONE on the bottom of the window to return to the Timeline. If you want to quickly continue editing objects in your Timeline you can use Wochit’s in asset navigation to move on to the next object in your Timeline.
Once you’ve completed your edits to an asset use the grey arrow icon to the left and right of the Preview window to move to the next image and add your changes. Just don’t forget to return to the Timeline every so often and save your work!