Step 3: Timeline Editing
Now that you’ve collected all your assets in Media Selection, and decided whether or not you need a voice-over, you are ready for the Timeline stage of video production.
The Timeline is where all the media assets you’ve collected are combined together with effects (text overlays, Free Text, Supers, zoom…) to put the finishing touches on your video. This is where most of the work will be done in creating your video.
The Timeline has 3 main components:
- A Rough cut preview, which allows you to preview your media assets and text on screen in low resolution to make quick edits to your video (located in the top left corner of the screen)
- Your Media Selection or Lightbox, including all the content you’ve collected for your story and the Add More Media button which can be used to return to the Media Gallery to collect more assets for your story
- The Timeline, where you can place your assets in order and also edit the individual images and videos for length and to add overlays including text and other custom features including transition or overlays.
In addition to those components, you can also:
- Change your background music: Wochit has a library of over 100 music tracks for you to choose from in addition to allowing you to upload your own track
- low-res preview & produce your video: Click on ‘Preview and Produce your Video‘ in the top right corner and you will be asked to choose a thumbnail and title your video. Once completed you can watch a full low-res version of your video including all graphics and custom overlays. When the preview has rendered we also provide you with a share link that you can use to share the video internally before producing
- Undo/ Redo: When it comes to editing the flow of your video, the undo/ redo options allow you to take a step back or forward to easily make changes. This includes, placing, moving, cutting or copying an asset.
- Edit assets with the The Media toolbar: like adding text on screen, duplicate an image, Cut a clip, or remove it from the Timeline
The Basics of Asset Navigation and Customization:
When you first enter the Timeline your first step is to fill the Timeline with assets you’ve collected in your Lightbox by clicking and dragging them down. Once you’ve added objects to the timeline you can start to edit the individual assets.
To edit the flow of the Timeline follow the below instructions:
- Hover over the image or video on the Timeline with your mouse and click on it
- You’ll notice a toolbar with options to Edit, Cut, Copy and Remove– Edit: Click on the Pencil icon to open the asset preview menu where you can add text on screen and add other effects to your video like blur, zoom or special animations
– Cut: Based on the position of the pink scrubber, the cut tool will cut the selected asset into two parts. This is an easy way to add text or an effect to a specific part of of a video clip without ruining the flow of your video.
-Copy: The copy tool will duplicate the selected asset, including any effects and text and add it to the Timeline.
-Remove: This will remove the asset from the Timeline and will remain in the Lightbox, and all text and effects will be removed from the asset.
- To edit an asset beyond the flow of the video click on the pencil icon to open the Edit Asset menu
- Across the top of the preview you will see a menu of different customization options including:
Once you’re done editing an asset you can click DONE on the bottom of the window to return to the Timeline. If you want to quickly continue editing objects in your Timeline you can use Wochit’s in asset navigation to move on to the next object in your Timeline.
Once you’ve completed your edits to an asset use the grey arrow icon to the left and right of the Preview window to move to the next image and add your changes. Just don’t forget to return to the Timeline every so often and save your work!